Monday, November 17, 2014

A Difficult Confession

Here's the thing.

Before I completely humiliate myself can I just say that I am normally quite a rational and logic-loving person. I'm usually quite selective when it comes to the shows and movies that I watch. If I hate an actor in the show or the idea behind it or find it difficult to relate to, I tend to not even consider watching it. And if it's stupid humour, you know the kind of humour that's so ridiculously dumb it pisses you off instead of making you laugh, I stay a hundred miles away. 

Take Brooklyn Nine Nine for example. I had been forced to read all kinds of positive things about it on Tumblr so I thought hey, just because it's Andy Samberg doesn't mean it's stupid humour. I watched five minutes of the first episode and promptly got a headache. Needless to say I vowed never to watch another episode.

SO. Those are but a few of my many oddities. Because I had so many of them when it came to tv shows especially, I assumed I was just a difficult person to please when it came to tv. But let me tell you, the writers of some shows have wised up and figured out how to get me from rational and logical to the frothing at the mouth, yelling at the screen variety of their die hard viewers. Apparently, all they have to do is get one couple, a tragically adorable and made for each other couple, and parade them as subtly as possible. Apparently I am a total sucker for tragically adorable and made for each other couples. Who knew?

Then begins the madness.

Exhibit A. Olicity. That's right, Oliver and Felicity from the show Arrow.



If you've read a smidgen of my latest posts you would know that this mildly tragic couple makes me physically ill with how perfect they are for each other. But what I haven't yet mentioned is that I actually had a deep in my soul hate for the show in its first season. I mean sure, it was a little bit interesting and it got more intriguing as the season went on. But gahhhh the banality and total predictability of the characters!! 

When the show got to season 2 it suddenly became so much better. And I could never really pinpoint what it was about season 2 that was so different and the complete opposite of cliche from season 1. The character development was soooo much better and there were much more interesting storylines and there was a really cool mysterious villain so I thought it must have been some combination of those and other things. Until the second half of the season when I realised I was obsessed with these two clowns getting together. It's season 3 and they still haven't, by the way. 

So here I sit, watching them in all their angsty glory. The whole "I'm so crazy in love with you but we can't be together because of all these noble and heroic reasons" takes a toll and I'm telling you, the pain and the waiting and the torture of watching the slow burn of these two be around each other, wanting to be together? It just reels me in. I'm helpless against its pull. Curse the writers. I feel like the baby in that saying about taking candy from a baby -_-'

Anyway, I watched the pilot of this show called Red Band Society because there was nothing else to do and I was bored and the ads for the show made me curious. Turns out it's one of those rare shows where once I watched the first episode, I was hooked. I mean, this is a show about sick kids living in a hospital whose adorableness should be illegal that we're talking about after all. 

As the show went on, my obsessiveness made an appearance with another two clowns.



He's a cancer survivor who had to have his leg amputated. He used to be one of those nice jock types that we're always seeing on American shows nowadays. And she's this geeky girl who's really smart and sarcastic. Oh, and anorexic. They're so unlikely yet hopelessly cute together, it makes me want to start yelling at my screen again. Well no it doesn't. I mostly stay silent and let their cuteness wash over me. 

Of course I also love the storyline in general and the other characters haven't really been fleshed out yet but...I think I kinda love this show. And then there's Octavia Spencer's character who's this really strict nurse, which she plays wonderfully of course and there's the fact that this whole show is based on a true story which kinda rocks and um...



FINE he's just really CUTE. Okay???

Don't judge me. 

No comments:

A Heartfelt, Post Traumatic Thank You

About five months ago, this album called Post Traumatic was released. Three months ago, I went to Bangkok to watch Mike Shinoda perform...