Sunday, February 27, 2011

An entertaining Sunday

Procession at church today was so funny.


We prayed and were ready to walk down already. Keith already had the cross up and we were all in line and all. And Uncle Vincent announced, "Congregation, please stand for the anthem." And then....


Silence.


Only after about 30 seconds did my dad finally ask from the back, "Is the organist here?"


LOL


The organist wasn't even around and everyone confidently wanted to start service. It was so funny. Dad had to go and announce that everyone could sit down while we waited.


After service it was so BORING la. Me, Joash and Chris were just sitting around staring at each other's faces. Then, when 10.30 service finished and things were just beginning to look a little fun, we had to leave. *What-the-hell face*


On the upside, I tasted the most amazing chutney I've tasted so far for lunch. Mouthwateringly awesome.


Anyway, to the point of this post.




True Grit************************************************************


I finally watched it. 


I have gotta say, Hailee Steinfeld's nomination was thoroughly deserved. She was the heart and soul of the story, I don't care how famous Jeff Bridges is. Hailee's character, Mattie Ross was pretty impressive. But more impressive still was Hailee's portrayal of the stubborn and sometimes irritating Mattie. I was very impressed.


Jeff Bridges, on the other hand, was just plain annoying. I could barely understand a word he was saying, what with him swallowing his words, the Southern accent just making it worse. He played the character well but I have to say, there wasn't a lot to be ogle at. I understand not being able to understand it when he was acting drunk, but couldn't he at least speak just a little clearly when he was acting sober? 


Matt Damon and Josh Brolin's characters were pretty minor. Nothing outstanding about those two. Actually, there was nothing outstanding about the movie either. I kept checking the time to see how long was left of the movie. Always a bad sign. The climax came a little late and the first half of the movie I spent in great agitation, wondering how an hour could feel SO LONG. So on the whole, although Hailee Steinfeld gave it her best, she was the only aspect of the movie worth expecting anything of. Other than that, the movie lacked depth, and everything else that could possibly have made it interesting.


*****************************************************************************************************


The Fighter*****************************************************


A million times better than True Grit.


I was wishing the movie wouldn't end so soon. If I checked the time at all, it was to make sure there was still more of the movie to watch. And the YouTube critics were right, the movie wasn't ALL about boxing. It was mostly about family and not turning your back on your own. I loved it. And Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale had very little to do with it too.


Mark Wahlberg was adorable when he was being all drowned in self doubt. He played Mickey Ward well, but I guess I understand why he wasn't nominated. He was sort of overshadowed by Christian Bale and Melissa Leo who both gave the roles their all. The chemistry between Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg was great though. They were so comfortable and natural playing brothers and it didn't seem fake or forced at all, unlike some other couplings I could name. 


Christian Bale played crack junkie awesomely, from the unfocused eyes right down to the euphoric smile. Melissa Leo was truly believable as the constantly pissed off mom. I loved the scene where she started throwing plates and pans at her husband. Amy Adams complemented the cast well, but she did pretty well herself. But to be fair, her role was pretty typical. Bartender girlfriend with the accent. All that was missing was that her name wasn't Gina lol. The girlfriend's name is somehow ALWAYS Gina.


*******************************************************************************************************


Anyway, too bad I didn't get to watch 127 Hours before the Oscars tomorrow. I'll watch it soon, hopefully. And finally, the countdown slowly comes to an end. Have fun watching the 83rd Annual Academy Awards tomorrow people, bright and early at 8.30am. There's the red carpet outfit assessment on E! at 8am too, that should be interesting.


Pray I'm happy with the results tomorrow or I'll be bitching to kingdom come about it :)

No comments:

A Heartfelt, Post Traumatic Thank You

About five months ago, this album called Post Traumatic was released. Three months ago, I went to Bangkok to watch Mike Shinoda perform...