Monday, March 30, 2015

A Rude Awakening

Ever been so sure of something that you were about as immovable as a rock on steroids? Apparently, I've been too. I was completely unaware of it, but well, I suppose that doesn't make it any less true.

I've always maintained that I wasn't one of those people whose phones pretty much contained their lives. I don't obsessively upload pictures of my food or my outfits on Instagram, I don't share every YouTube video I like on Facebook and I most definitely do not post my every random thought (in a wit and pop culture reference themed extravaganza) on Twitter. I realised recently that no one knows I've graduated from university simply because I didn't post any pictures on Facebook. Imagine having a life altering moment and not plastering it into the story of your online presence. The horror!

Anyway, back to not being one of those my-phone-is-my-life people. So I left my phone at a friend's place the other day and only realised it when I had gotten home. By then all I had time for was a shower and a change of clothes before heading to work. In an unfortunate turn of events, I eventually did get Xander the Xperia back.

It took almost two. Whole. Days.

Oh boy, did I suffer. I couldn't do anything! I couldn't reach anyone because the only numbers I'd memorised belong the parents and the sister, which is ridiculous seeing as I live with my brother and he's the one I'd be calling more often asking if there's bread and milk at home or if he wants food. I couldn't play Sudoku to while away the commercials while watching tv. I couldn't even set an alarm to force myself out of bed in the morning! My days were filled with "Sudhan, can you call my sister for me?" and "Joash, can you text Leanne for me?". I felt so helpless and out of reach. My boss couldn't reach me if one of my classes had been cancelled, my friends couldn't reach me with the latest news (Or gossip. Whichever.), and Sudhan and Jasmine turned my pain into a Whatsapp spam party.

So yeah. Turns out I'm one of em tech zombies after all. I was way too happy to get Xander back to be devastated at the thought of being one with the masses though. And of course by masses I mean the kids all over the world who stare at the closest screen while you attempt to speak to them. Oh well, I haven't started scrolling down my Facebook news feed while someone tries to pry a sentence out of me at least. Good Lord, please don't ever let me be that punk. 

So there it is. I said a polite hello to my wake up call and am now unashamedly staring at my beloved Xander whenever I choose to spend quality time with him. IT. I meant it! 

Oh, what the hell. I mean, I did name the precious thing after all. Calling my phone 'him' won't level-up my psychosis any. 

No comments:

A Heartfelt, Post Traumatic Thank You

About five months ago, this album called Post Traumatic was released. Three months ago, I went to Bangkok to watch Mike Shinoda perform...