Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Hilarious LRT Misadventure

So for some reason today when I got to the LRT station at KLCC, there were more people than usual there, so much so that I took like 5 minutes to get from the entrance to the ticket barrier...thing. And while I was walking there I saw people from the Avenue K side of the station taking photos and videos of the crowd. Of course I immediately became curious (read: nosy about nothing) and thought something had happened and by the way everyone was acting, I thought that at the very least there would be paramedics involved. Maybe a heart attack or something equally exciting. I should know better, I'm Malaysian. There was nothing there. People were just taking photos of the crowd cause I'm assuming there was some problem with the trains or there was an overcrowding situation in more than one station, and people were lining up at the barriers cause they weren't allowing people into the train platforms. The Instagram generation, I tell you. That one also wanna take photo ah??

Anyway I decided that today would be a good day to practice my patience. Needless to say, after a gazillion games of Shoot Bubble on my ever faithful Xander the Xperia which thank goodness I had charged at the office, I was ready to give up and just walk home. Then miraculously the line started to move and I immediately started hurling insults at the people who cut the queue in front of me with the power of my mind. When one irritating girl walking in front of me STOPPED TO TAKE A PHOTO I hurled an even bigger mind-insult at her and went on my way.

In the train.

I barely had to move my feet to get onto the train when it arrived. Everyone was pushing and shoving and one irritating man actually stood at the entrance of the train blocking everyone's path just so he could get off easily when his stop came. Gave him the death glare and proceeded to settle in for the two station ride in a glorified human sardine can.

I've been on the LRT at rush hour before. It was nothing like this.

So I carry a huge umbrella to work. Partly to protect my laptop from the rain, and partly as a potential weapon. That thing would make a great club. I was tempted to practice on all the pushers and shovers and queue cutters at KLCC but I restrained myself admirably. Anyway, carrying this thing on the train puts my hand at a...let's just say, inopportune spot. While I was inhaling the hair of the girl standing in front of me with each breath and trying not to scream as some lady behind me tickled my back as she was trying to reach a pole to hang on to, I noticed something odd.

My hand holding my umbrella was pressed against some other guy's hand. 

I couldn't move it cause the train was just sooo packed. And every time I tried, lady behind me's hand would keep brushing against my back. So I made an extremely uncomfortable situation better by making a conscious and pointedly obvious effort not to look at the face of the guy whose hand I was touching. I mean his face was a foot away and we were practically holding hands but hey, I wasn't looking at him so it wasn't awkward right? WRONG. 

I was so happy when I reached Damai. I couldn't wait to get out of there and laugh to myself at the awkwardness of the situation. And here's an idea of how packed the train was. I had to walk backwards off the train cause there wasn't even space for me to turn around. Anyway I get onto the platform and realise that hand guy was getting off at Damai too. Of course I continued to ignore him and things were going really well and I was stifling my laughter pretty well. By 'well' of course I mean that my face was contorting very oddly and if I weren't so dark you'd be able to see my entire face flushed a bright red from keeping my laughter contained. 

Anyway when I reached the stairs that led to the exit, I had to turn around to face the crowd exiting the station and being completely unable to help myself, I took a look at hand guy before I ran outta there. He was looking right back at me, probably wondering why the crazy girl with the umbrella looked like she was having a stroke. 

I ran down the stairs with a wide grin on my face at the utter ridiculousness of the situation.

No comments:

A Heartfelt, Post Traumatic Thank You

About five months ago, this album called Post Traumatic was released. Three months ago, I went to Bangkok to watch Mike Shinoda perform...